What to Do If You Have a Nickel Allergy

Go into any store in the mall and you’ll be met with a wide array of pretty jewelry and earrings. The sales and low prices might draw you in, only to find that you go home and can’t wear the jewelry for any period of time due to the low quality of metals used to create the piece. Millions of people worldwide suffer from a nickel allergy, and while it’s not a life threatening reaction, it can affect the way that you wear jewelry on a day-to-day basis.

Understanding the Symptoms

Nickel allergies are pretty easy to spot as they’re irritating to the person experiencing them. If you have ever put in a pair of cheap earrings and found that your ears became itchy, red, swollen and irritated shortly after, you were actually experiencing an allergic reaction to the nickel found within the metal. In more severe cases, nickel allergies can result in cracking of the skin and even blistering. Because of this, it’s important that you find out more about your allergy and what you can do to alleviate the symptoms. In the majority of instances, taking out the jewelry and cleansing the skin will get rid of the side effects of a nickel allergy.

Your Choice of Jewelry

The type of jewelry that you wear will have a direct impact on how you feel throughout the day when wearing it. If you invest in better quality pieces that are nickel-free, you’re sure to have a more enjoyable experience wearing the earrings of your choosing. If you know that you have a nickel allergy, it’s crucial that you avoid buying jewelry just because it’s cheap and cute. You need to invest in better quality items because you’ll find you can wear them without feeling uncomfortable or irritated. There are tons of sites online that sell amazing quality jewelry that is completely hypoallergenic and nickel-free.

Living with a Nickel Allergy

Living with a nickel allergy is a lot easier than other types of medical problems. The best way to prevent a reaction is by avoiding wearing nickel-laden jewelry altogether. It’s pretty effortless to live with this type of allergy, but the key is to ensure that you’re no longer putting cheaper products in your ears. The reason the ears are the most effected by a nickel allergy is because the metal is going through a puncture hole in the body. Unlike a necklace that just lays on top of the skin, earrings go through the skin and are more likely to cause an allergic reaction. If you have cheaper jewelry, consider throwing the pieces away or donating them so that you can invest in better items for yourself. While the investment might be a bit costly in the beginning, you’ll be glad that you have better items that not only feel good when you’re wearing them, but they are guaranteed to last a lot longer than the cheaply-made items you’d find and buy in your local shopping mall.